Features incorporated in the GOI Web Directory to make it accessible are:
- Skip to Main Content: Quick access to the core content on the page is provided without going through repetitive navigation using the keyboard.
- Icons: Text has been supplemented with icons to enable users with learning disabilities understand the information easily. Icons have been provided along with text labels for key navigation options as well as important features, such as print, email etc.
- Keyboard support for drop-down menus: Drop-down menus have been used to display the top navigation options and expand/collapse lists have been used to display the left navigation options across the Web Directory. Keyboard access has been provided to enable users with mobility and visual disabilities access the navigation options. Keyboard users can access the top navigation and left navigation options in the following manner:
- Drop-down menus: Press the Tab key to navigate to the drop-down menu options, such as About Us, Meet the Ministers etc. Press Enter to Show/Hide the drop-down menu options and press the Tab key. Along with Tab key, screen reader user can access the drop-down menu options using the arrow keys. Further press the Enter key to activate the required option.
- Expand/Collapse list: Press the Tab key to navigate the Expand/Collapse List. Press Enter to Open/Close the list and access the expanded list using either the Tab or Arrow keys. Further press the Enter key to activate the required option.
- Accessibility Options: Options are provided to change the size of the text and to choose color scheme.
- Descriptive Link Text: Brief description of a link is provided using descriptive phrases instead of just using words such as 'Read more' and 'Click here' as link text. Further, if a link opens a Website in a new window, the description specifies the same.
- Headings: The Directory content is organized using appropriate headings and subheadings that provide a readable structure. H1 indicates the main heading, whereas H2 indicates a subheading. In addition, appropriate headings have been provided to improve readability.
- Titles: An appropriate name for each Web page is specified that helps you to understand the page content easily.
- Alternate Text: Brief description of an image is provided for users with visual disability. If you are using a browser that supports only text or have turned off the image display, you can still know what the image is all about by reading the alternate text in absence of an image. In addition, some browsers display the alternate text in the form of a tooltip when the user moves the mouse pointer over the image.
- Explicit Form Label Association: A label is linked to its respective control, such as text box, check box, radio button, and drop-down list. This enables the assistive devices to identify the labels for the controls on a form.
- Consistent Navigation Mechanism: Consistent means of navigation and style of presentation throughout the Web Directory has been incorporated.
- Keyboard Support: The Web Directory can be browsed using a keyboard by pressing the Tab and Shift + Tab keys.
- Customized Text Size: The size of the text on the Web Directory can be changed either through the browser, through the Accessibility Options page or by clicking on the text sizing icons present at the top of each page.
- Adjust contrast scheme: The Web Directory provides different schemes to enable users with visual impairments, such as low vision and colorblindness to view the web page information with ease.Different contrast schemes include Standard and High contrast view .